In 1917, J. Best Lewis and George B. Lewis, brothers, formed the proprietorship Lewis Brothers Furniture Dealers and Undertaking. The brothers moved to town from the family farm and established the quiet and conscientious business to serve their community. They strived to provide the highest level of service and attention to detail with every family with whom they had the honor to serve.
Later, the second generation, John B. "Jack" and George M. Lewis returned to the family business. Although the furniture venture had dissolved, they remained very busy tending to the communities needs with local ambulance service in Palmyra, Philadelphia and neighboring areas. Both Jack and George, respectively, served in the funeral trade for over 50 years.
The third generation of the Lewis family entered the funeral business when David M. Lewis and Steven W. Lewis joined the family firm. Both David and Steve continued their forefathers’ dedicated service to the families of Northeast Missouri. In 2016 the Lewis Brothers Funeral Chapel was acquired by the James O’Donnell Funeral Home of Hannibal. James J. O’Donnell, funeral director and owner and Jeremy A. Lane, Lewis Brothers General Manager are proud to be a part of the Palmyra community and surrounding Northeast Missouri and look forward to continuing the Lewis Brothers tradition of excellence.